Saturday, November 26, 2005

Thankfulness

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I LOVE Christmas and the meaning that it brings to my life but I love Thanksgiving and meaning of family.

Growing up as a kid every year we would gather around the table and share what we were thankful for. I used to dread that moment. I felt embarrassed sharing those kind of things with my family. My mom always went over the deep end. It would take way too long as the food got cold.

One year we had to bring a Bible scripture to table to share with our "What We Were Thankful For" list. I brought Psalms 100. I was getting older and beginning to truly understand the meaning of Thanksgiving. Family.

Since then it has been my favorite. I love the food that my mom makes. The time of laughter that we all share. I loved the games and movies we would watch once everything was cleaned up. I enjoyed laying close to my mom on the couch, feeling so close and loved. I loved eating the leftovers and dessert for the rest of the day. Making dinner whenever you were ready. I loved the friends that would pop over unannounced.

Being married has thrown a small kink into the family Thanksgiving. Grumps works all the time. There is really no point in taking that little bit of time off for the holiday when I only get 2 days off from work and my family lives at least 13 hours away from me. Now I can only dream of what is going on at home. I call and listen to the family get lunch together. I call to share the deals that I found while shopping. I laugh at what we ate and how lazy I was in the preparations of it.

Thanksgiving isn't the same but I am still very thankful.

I am thankful for my amazing husband, Grumps. He can drive me crazy sometimes like no other but then other times he can melt my heart.

I am thankful for my dog, Itsy. Yes, that sounds so silly but she has brought so much joy into our lives where joy was slim.

I am thankful for my family. We never see each other but life doesn't change when we are together.

I am thankful for my friends. My friends have turned into my family. They have carried me when the road got too long.

I am thankful for health and health to come!

I am thankful for my job, home, things, and life.

Most of all I am thankful for my God who loves me more than anyone can possibly show love.

Happy Thanksgiving!!! Even though I am 2 days late.

If you are a Chickenhead reader then sorry for the repeat!

No comments: